Laser for Fungal Toenails - Fairview & Northern NJ
- Do you have thick, yellow, discolored toenails?
- Are you embarrassed to wear your open-toed shoes in public?
Chances are you have fungal toenails, a condition also known as onychomycosis.
Fungal toenails are caused by an organism that grows in and under the nail. The fungus likes to grow in warm, moist places like your shoes. Many patients pick up fungal toenail infections in the gym locker room, from a nail salon, wet shoes or from trauma. Fungus can stay in the nails for many years and can be passed from one person to another.
There are currently three treatment modalities for this condition. They include
- Topical medications
- Oral medications, which can have some serious side effects to your liver
- The newest modality which is Laser Therapy
At our practice we use a laser, which focuses a concentrated beam of laser light through the nail to eradicate the fungus living under and in the nail.
- The procedure is performed right in our office
- requires no anesthesia and is painless
- Most patients require only three treatments and can once again enjoy wearing open toed shoes